Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Uncomfortably numb

So about 17 minutes into my threshold test, my arms started going numb. By the time I hit 19 minutes, my arms were numb from elbows to fingers. That's a new one on me. I've had my tongue go numb before, but arms?? Plus I wanted to puke.
I put up a few less watts than I wanted, but my average over the effort was a few watts over my last test in November. Given I'm lifting weights now and my legs don't ever really stop hurting, I think I'm in good shape. Nevermind the fact that this is January and I really have done zero power exercises on the bike.
While I'm piling on excuses, I crashed on my mountain bike on Saturday when screwing around on some North Shore hucking type stuff. I made the transition from bridge to fallen tree just fine, but I think the snow had something to do with my fall as I tried to exit off the tree. I don't know if it was my front or rear wheel, but one of 'em washed out and I fell about 3 feet. I ended up with a bruised shoulder, outer thigh, trapezius muscle and above all a bruised ego. The funny thing was that when I was checking out my bike for broken bits, I discovered a WAY bent chain ring from earlier in the ride when I botched an attempted manual of a 12" tree (it was uphill, so I was going a bit too slow). I didn't clip out, but I kinda balanced on the BB for a second or two. Well, I guess it was actually the chain ring I was resting on...


With that, I'm out.

-the ATM

No comments: