Sunday, September 16, 2007

Missed Opportunities

Today's race was opposite of yesterday... 10 miles of singletrack followed by about 55 miles of road after with the other 5 peppered in 3 grassy parks. I was feeling good and got a good jump into the single track. The trail was uneventful, but immediately onto the road I had a flat. Nice way to start the day. Big up to my teammate, Will, who gave me his wheel so that I could bridge up a whole lot faster.
The rest of the day went pretty smoothly, and the pack was whittling down. Unfortunately, I only ended up with one teammate whereas they had three. Ugh. Eh well, figured I would leave it to the last park to makeup the time since I felt strong and had been nailing all the other grass sections. Wrong tactic. I needed 75 seconds and only had 15 towards the end, then missed a turn that brought it back to zero. I still hit him onto the road but he clawed back again. We rolled onto the final straight where we were sprinting for pride, er I mean 2nd. I lost. My earlier attack had done a good job of softening legs, but they turned out to be mine.
3rd on the day and 2nd overall, not too bad, considering last year I popped for good with about 10 miles to go.


Tired, I'm going to bed.

the ATM

No comments: